Contact The Charleston Museum for image use and credit instructions.
1817 copper slave badge with chamfered corners stamped, "Servant No. 664," found on the ground near a cabin on Chapel Hill Plantation in Berkeley County. The reverse is stamped "Lafar" for the maker's mark of Charleston silversmith, John J. Lafar. This badge would have been worn by a slave who was hired out to work as a house servant, washer woman or maid.
- Date: 1817
- Dimensions: H-6.8 W-6.3 cm
- Makers Mark: LAFAR (on reverse)
- Collection: Slave Badge Collection
- Object Name: Badges
- Object Id: MG 178
- Search Terms