Contact The Charleston Museum for image use and credit instructions.
1825 Charleston copper slave badge with chamfered corners currently on exhibit in First Hall stamped, "Porter No. 436". The bottom bears the maker's mark "Lafar", for Charleston silversmith, John J. Lafar. This particular badge would have been worn by a slave hired out as a day laborer, performing such jobs as loading and unloading ships.