Nathaniel Russell House, 51 Meeting Street

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Photograph of the Nathaniel Russell House garden when it operated as a boarding school by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. The domed steeple of First (Scots) Presbyterian Church and the steeple of St. Michael's Church can be seen in the distance. Paine set his camera up on the first floor of his house (47 Meeting) to capture the overgrown garden. His notation on reverse reads, "In the Good old Summertime." A second notation in different handwriting reads, "View of Catholic School Garden, Meeting St. St. Michael's Church in the distance."

Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy purchased the home in 1870 and operated a boarding school there until 1905.