Nathaniel Russell House, 51 Meeting Street

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Photograph of the Nathaniel Russell House when it operated as a boarding school by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. Paine set his camera up on the second floor of his house (47 Meeting) and was able to capture the garden and cleared pathways in the foreground with the First (Scots) Presbyterian Church and St. Michael's Church in the background. A large portion of Meeting Street can be seen with a trolley on the tracks. The garden appears to be more landscaped compared to image MK 3499.

Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy purchased the home in 1870 and operated a boarding school there until 1905.