Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of soldiers identified as the Guard Mount of the Battery of Heavy Artillery or Anderson's Battery during the Spanish-American War. They have gathered on a small piece of property next to the Consumer's Coal Co. warehouse directly off of East Bay Street near Central Wharf. Printed from a glass plate negative held in the Museum's collection.
In 1898, Captain Edward Anderson of the 4th Brigade in the South Carolina State Militia, was tasked with raising volunteers to form the Battery of Heavy Artillery in the Spanish-American War. After making a call through the newspaper, four officers and 140 enlisted men were mustered into service on May 21, 1898. Reporting for duty at the Sullivan's Island Station on May 28th, 1898, they remained there until February 4th, 1899, never seeing active duty.