Cabin Wheel Club Outing

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of Elizabeth "Lizzie" Sams and her daughter Frances Sams Simons sitting on a wooden fence during a bicycle ride as members of the Cabin Wheel Club in St. Andrews Parish. Printed from a glass plate negative held in the Museum's collections.

The Cabin Wheel Club was made up of members who would cycle from the peninsula over the "New Bridge" (now the Ashley River Bridge) to the country in St. Andrew's Parish (now West Ashley). First called the "Charleston Riding Club" it was advertised in the April 20, 1896 News & Courier edition as "A Picnic on Wheels." The next year, it was referred to as the "Wheelman Club...A Clubhouse for Cyclists" eventually earning the name the "Cabin Wheel Club."