Cabin Wheel Club, Frost's Gate

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of a dirt road leading to a gate labeled as "Frost's Gate - St. Andrew's." Sams shot this image during a bicycle outing with the Cabin Wheel Club. Printed from a glass plate negative held in the Museum's collections.

The Cabin Wheel Club was made up of members who would cycle from the peninsula over the "New Bridge" (now the Ashley River Bridge) to the country in St. Andrew's Parish (now West Ashley). First called the "Charleston Riding Club" it was advertised in the April 20, 1896 News & Courier edition as "A Picnic on Wheels." The next year, it was referred to as the "Wheelman Club...A Clubhouse for Cyclists" eventually earning the name the "Cabin Wheel Club."