William Blacklock House
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the general view south (front) elevation from southeast of the William Blacklock House located at 18 Bull Street.
Merchant, William Blacklock built this two story house on a high brick basement in the Adamesque style. Constructed of Charleston grey brick laid in Flemish bond, the interior is full of woodwork and plasterwork with a circular stair and vaulted ceiling. Although, the architect is of yet unidentified, it is possible that ametueur architect, Gabriel Manigault had a hand in the design. Blacklock served as a member of the building committee for the Bank building (now City Hall), attributed to Manigault, and his use of the Tuscan columns are similiar to the columns used for the Orphan House Chapel, also designed by Manigault. The outbuildings on the property are Gothic Revival.
Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.
- Title: William Blacklock House
- Photographer: Bayless, Charles Nield, 1914-1991
- Date: 1978
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: HABS South Carolina Project
- Object Id: MK 12019
- Search Terms