Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the general view north (front) elevation of the Walker, Evans, and Cogswell Building located at 3 Broad Street.
Four-story commercial building designed by Jones and Lee, a Charleston architect firm, and built by James P. and R. Earle, local contractors, c. 1853 for the president of the State Bank, Edward Sebring. It is constructed in the Italianate style with Charleston grey brick laid in Flemish bond and brownstone cornices and sills on the upper level windows. Originally founded by James C. Walker in 1821 as a stationary and bookbinding business it became a publishing company as well when Walker took on a partner, Benjamin F. Evans in 1852. Walker & Evans Company then joined partnership with Harvey Cogswell in 1855 and purchased 3 Broad Street in 1856. Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company remained at this location until 1982 when the building was sold and renovated as office condominiums.
Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.
- Title: Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company
- Photographer: Bayless, Charles Nield, 1914-1991
- Date: 1977-1979
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: HABS South Carolina Project
- Object Id: MK 11900
- Address: 3 Broad Street
- Search Terms