Sullivan's Island, Pitt Street Bridge
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the road approaching the Pitt Street Bridge that once spanned Cove Inlet. The photographer has shot the image from the Mount Pleasant side looking east toward Sullivan's Island visible in the background. Caption on front, "#401 - Cove Inlet - Charleston Looking East". At this time the bridge was only used by automobiles.
At one time the Pitt Street Bridge was the only means to get from Mount Pleasant to the beaches of Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms. Operating as a trolley bridge from 1898 to 1927 it was widened in 1923 to allow for automobiles and was finally closed in 1945 when the Ben Sawyer Bridge opened.