Sullivan's Island, Pitt Street Bridge
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the Pitt Street Bridge that once spanned Cove Inlet. The photographer has shot the image from the Sullivan's Island side looking west toward Old Village in Mount Pleasant. A brick building decorated with an advertisement for the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus performance on September 22  is on the right and the steel drawbridge can be seen in the distance. Caption on front, "#401 - Cove Inlet - Charleston Looking West". At this time the bridge was only used by automobiles.
At one time the Pitt Street Bridge was the only means to get from Mount Pleasant to the beaches of Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms. Operating as a trolley bridge from 1898 to 1927 it was widened in 1923 to allow for automobiles and was finally closed in 1945 when the Ben Sawyer Bridge opened.
- Title: Sullivan's Island, Pitt Street Bridge
- Photographer: S.C. Department of Highways and Public Transportation
- Date: 1931
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: Beaches and Islands
- Object Id: MK 7114f
- Search Terms