Stark General Hospital
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of three unidentified soldiers posing for the photographer as they stand in front of a Red Cross train car at Stark General Hospital. The Army Captain on the right is handing the soldier in the middle an oversized manila envelope as the Army Captain on the left looks on.
Stark General Hospital was located on Dorchester Road, Rural Delivery 2 and was officially named in honor of Colonel Alexander N. Stark on February 11, 1941. It accommodated 2,400 beds and was ready for patients on May 18, 1941 specializing in general and orthopedic surgery. As the war progressed it became a fully-functional debarkation hospital for casualties and sick personnel arriving at the Port of Charleston.