Contact The Charleston Museum for image use and credit instructions.
This 1825 copper slave badge, currently on exhibit in First Hall and stamped "Servant 806", was found during excavations conducted by the Museum's archaeologist in 1973 to 1976 at the Heyward-Washington House. The maker's mark for Charleston silversmith, John J. Lafar, is on reverse. This badge would have been worn by a slave who was hired out to work as a house servant, washer woman or maid.
- Site: Heyward-Washington House
- Site Number: 38Ch108
- Date: 1825
- Dimensions: H-2.717 W-2.559 inches
- Makers Mark: Lafar
- Collection: Slave Badge Collection
- Object Name: Badges
- Object Id: ARL 19749
- Search Terms