Contact The Charleston Museum for image use and credit instructions.
1825 copper slave badge, stamped "Porter 105", was found during an excavation of the privy at 107 Church Street and donated to the Museum. The maker's mark of Charleston silversmith, John J. Lafar, is stamped below. This badge would have been worn by a slave hired out as a day laborer, performing such jobs as loading and unloading ships.
- Site: 107 Church St.
- Date: 1825
- Dimensions: H-2.717 W-2.638 inches
- Collection: Slave Badge Collection
- Object Name: Badges
- Object Id: ARL 16735
- Search Terms