Page 36: Steps of the Old Bull House


Photograph of Julius M. Visanska leaning on the seat of his bicycle in front of the semi-circular sandstone steps that once led to the main house at Ashley Hall Plantation. A later addition built for William Izard Bull in 1853, they are the only remains left of the house. The monument visible in the background was purchasaed by Hannah Beale Bull, the wife of William Bull II, and erected at the time of his death. Sams' handwritten notation beneath the image reads, "Steps of the old Bull House burnt by himself during the war to prevent occupation by soldiers. Jules Visanska & bicycle."

Gift of Franklin Taliaferro Sams.