Old Horn Work and Citadel
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the Horn Work Battery remnant at Marion Square. Taken down in 1784, the tabby fragment is all that is left of the colonial fortification that was built over King Street in 1759 to protect the only road (at the time) into town. Sams framed the shot to include the old Citadel in the background. Now an Embassy Suites, the old Citadel was built in 1829 to operate as the State Arsenal. After some disagreement between the state and the Federal Government a proposal was made to use the facilities as a military academy and the Citadel Academy opened in March of 1843. The academy moved in 1922 to their present location as the Citadel. Printed from a glass plate negative held in the Museum's collection.
- Title: Old Horn Work and Citadel
- Photographer: Sams, Franklin Frost (Dr.), 1867-1937
- Date: c.1900
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: Franklin Frost Sams Photographs
- Object Id: MK 7585
- Search Terms