Miles Brewton House
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the first floor main entry and detail of the entrance gate of the Miles Brewton House (also known as the Pringle House) located at 27 King Street.
The house was constructed from 1765 to 1769 by Miles and Mary Brewton and is a perfect example of a Charleston double house. Constructed of brick, the Georgian style exterior consists of a two story pedimented tetrastyle portico, a roundel in the pediment and a pilastered entrance with a fanlight decorating the dual semicircular entrance stairway. Both the interior and exterior woodwork in the house was completed by celebrated carver, Ezra Waite of London. The entrance gate and fence is also one of the few remaining examples of chevaux de frise. During the Revolutionary War it served as the headquarters for British General, Henry Clinton, as well as the Union headquarters towards the end of the Civil War.
Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.
- Title: Miles Brewton House
- Photographer: Bayless, Charles Nield, 1914-1991
- Date: 1977-1979
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: HABS South Carolina Project
- Object Id: MK 12517
- Address: 27 King Street
- Search Terms