John Steinmeyer House
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the accessory building (left) west side of the John Steinmeyer House located at 108 Beaufain Street. The kitchen house is the building on the right.
Built between 1840 and 1842 by John Steinmeyer, the two-story wooden house was constructed with exterior siding scored to replicate stone blocks. The interior was designed in the Greek Revival style of the 1840's with some Victorian features later added. Governor Thomas Bennett purchased the house in 1842 and it remained in the Bennett family until his granddaughter, Mary Bennett Campbell, bequeathed the property to the Presbyterian and Huguenot Ladies in 1909, when it became the Argyle Louden Campbell Memorial Home.
Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.
- Title: John Steinmeyer House
- Photographer: Bayless, Charles Nield, 1914-1991
- Date: 1977-1979
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: HABS South Carolina Project
- Object Id: MK 11891
- Search Terms