James Gregorie House

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of the general view south (front) elevation of the James Gregorie House located at 28 Broad Street.

Built c.1791 by William Shirtcliff as a two story brick building to house a store on the first floor and family living quarters on the second floor. James Gregorie conducted a major remodel in 1800 by inserting joists and adding a third story. The first floor granite facade was most likely added in the 1840s. The original arched windows can be seen on the second floor.

Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Low Country between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.