Gaillard-Bennett House, 60 Montagu Street
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the cast iron balconies on the Gaillard-Bennett House.
The house was constructed by rice planter and merchant Theodore Gaillard, c. 1800. James Shoolbred, a rice planter and Charleston's first British consul, purchased the property in 1815. It is believed he added double entrance steps, the portico and large quoins at the basement level while Washington Jefferson Bennett, who purchased the house in 1851, is thought to have added the cast iron balconies.
- Title: Gaillard-Bennett House, 60 Montagu Street
- Photographer: Curtis, Elizabeth Gibbon
- Date: c. 1920
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: Charleston Historic Houses
- Object Id: MK 234
- Address: 60 Montagu Street
- Search Terms