East Bay and Queen Streets
Copyright: The above image is considered Public Domain. Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Photograph showing the damage from the earthquake that occurred on August 31, 1886 to the grocery business located at the corner of East Bay and Queen Streets. Men can be seen in front standing amongst the rubble. Caption on reverse reads, "Taken after the 31st of August, 1886. No. 126. East Bay, corner Queen st." The sign on the building advertises for Ship & Family Groceries, Ales, Wines, Liquors, &c. but the 1886 Charleston City Directory lists a F.W. Wagener & Co. at the corner of East Bay and Queen Streets. Compare with MK 423, very likely the same intersection but note that in MK 423 there is a balcony and third story present that are missing in this image.
George LaGrange Cook was a well-known photographer in Charleston who photographed the destruction of the 1886 earthquake soon after it happened, producing a series of images titled "Cook's Earthquake Views of Charleston and Vicinity" that could be purchased as souvenirs.
- Title: East Bay and Queen Streets
- Photographer: Cook, George LaGrange, 1849-1919
- Date: 1886
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: Earthquake of 1886
- Object Id: MK 397
- Address: 167 East Bay Street
- Search Terms