East Battery

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph from the Harriette Kershaw Leiding Collection of East Battery between Water Street and South Battery looking south from the Missroon House. The street is empty except for a single automobile parked on the left side.

In the mid-1700s, this area was made of large earthenworks of mud and sand in which wooden platforms were laid to support cannons. During the War of 1812, cannons were positioned all along this area and is thought to be the reason why it was named "East Battery".