Daniel Cannon House

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of the second floor southeast room north wall of the Daniel Cannon House (also known as the Anderson House) located at 274 Calhoun Street.

Daniel Cannon began construction of this dwelling completeting only the high basement before his death in 1802. His will provided this home "under construction" for his daughter, Elizabeth, who completed the two and one half story wooden structure with a hipped roof, wide piazza and an Adamesque detailed interior. William Gregg resided in the house from 1838 until 1855 when he sold it to John Rutledge. The Medical University of South Carolina purchased the residence and one surviving outbuilding from the Anderson family in 2002 to use as administrative offices for the School of Pharmacy.

Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.