Confederate Veterans' Reunion, Thomson Auditorium

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of the Thomson Auditorium decorated for the United Confederate Veterans' Reunion with red, white and blue bunting and flags. Caption with negative reads, "Auditorium - Veterans' Reunion." Printed from a glass plate negative held in the Museum's collection.

Named as a memorial to John Thomson who bequeathed $30,000 to the city for its construction, the 8,000 seat auditorium was built in 90 days in time for the United Confederate Veterans' Reunion. The city continued to use it for conventions until 1907 when The Charleston Museum moved in remaining there until 1979. The building met an unfortunate end when it burned on October 19, 1980. Today the front portico columns are all that remain and can still be seen in Cannon Park.