Church Street

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Photograph of several children in the alleyway between the Cannon-Kirkland House (116 Church, left) and the residence of Charles Corkle (114 Church, right), no longer extant. The 1898 Charleston City Directory lists the Reverend Charles S. Vedder, DD residing at 116 Church. The building visible at the far end of the alley is listed as 116 1/2 on the 1888 Sanborn Map and is thought to be an original outbuilding built in 1796.
The building at 114 Church was demolished in 1928 to build the C&S Bank (44-48 Broad Street) completed in 1929.