Church Street

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Black and white photograph of the east side of Church Street featuring 78 and 76 (left), before they were combined into one house (now the DuBose Heyward House) and 74 Church (right). A woman wearing a white dress and hat walks along the sidewalk and looks toward the photographer who is positioned with his camera across the street. A small child is standing on the sidewalk and watches as another child enters 76 Church. A wheelbarrow is visible on the side in front of a wooden tub filled with what appears to be cabbage. The photograph, MK 5928, taken in this exact location by the same photographer in c.1900 shows the same dirt street but without trolley tracks.

The 1900 Charleston City Directory lists 78 Church as the residence of A.R. O'Donnell and 76 Church as the business and residence of Samuel Alexander, a shoemaker.