Charleston Port Terminal
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Sepia toned photograph of several wooden structures in the Animal Embarkation Depot at the Charleston Port Terminal.
In 1918 the United States Government requisitioned 2000 acres located between North Charleston and the mouth of Goose Creek (approximately 15 miles north of the Charleston Harbor) for the Charleston Army Depot. The quartermaster facility along with the Ordnance Depot and the Animal Embarkation Depot formed what would officially be titled the Charleston Port Terminal but called the "Army Base Terminal" by locals.