Cantini's Wharf

Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.


Photograph of a water taxi (4 men are rowing, 1 woman at the rudder) with several passengers coming into Cantini's Wharf. A boat from the Charleston Mosquito Fleet can be seen in the background. Notation on the brown envelope found with the negative, "Cantini's Wharf Tradd Street, Foot of Rutledge,1903."

The wharf (approximately 100 feet long and 30 feet wide), along with a grocery store (G & A Grocery, 169 Tradd Street) were built by brothers Geromeo Cantini and Anania Cantini on the southwest side of Tradd and Rutledge Streets. After the hurricane of 1893, it became a popular location for people from the islands who arrived in water taxis, and boats carrying produce and seafood to sell to the street vendors.