Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Photograph of five men (four rowing, one at the rudder) in a boat filled with assorted foodstuffs coming into Cantini's Wharf. Various small boats and street vendors are visible in the background. Advertising for "Ponds Extract For All Pain" can be seen on the dock and roof of a building.
The wharf (approximately 100 feet long and 30 feet wide), along with a grocery store (G & A Grocery, 169 Tradd Street) were built by brothers Geromeo Cantini and Anania Cantini on the southwest side of Tradd and Rutledge Streets. After the hurricane of 1893, it became a popular location for people from the islands who arrived in water taxis, and boats carrying produce and seafood to sell to the street vendors.
- Title: Cantini's Wharf
- Photographer: Unattributed
- Date: 1903
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: Charleston Wharves
- Object Id: MK 17335
- Search Terms