Benjamin Simons Heyward
Contact The Charleston Museum for image use and credit instructions.
Oil on canvas portrait of Benjamin Simons Heyward. Benbridge depicted the sitter at age ten, seated on a riverbank holding a bow and two arrows in his left hand with his hat in the right. Currently on exhibit in the Heyward-Washington House.
Benjamin Simons Heyward (1776-1796) was the youngest son of Daniel and Elizabeth Simons Heyward and reportedly died "in consequence of a shot from a pistol discharged by his own hand."
- Title: Benjamin Simons Heyward
- Creator: Benbridge, Henry, 1743-1812
- Date: 1786
- Culture: American
- School: Realism
- Dimensions: H-48.031 W-35 inches
- Collection: Fine Art Collection
- Object Name: Portraits
- Other Name: Work on canvas
- Object Id: 1988.60.1
- Search Terms