Bankers Trust of South Carolina Building
Copyright: Contact The Charleston Museum Archives for publication quality images and credit instructions.
Black and white photograph of the northeast corner of the Bankers Trust of South Carolina Building located at 1 Broad Street.
Built in 1853 by Jones & Lee, a Charleston architecture firm, it is constructed in the Italian Renaissance Revival style with Connecticut brownstone facing and lion head keystones on the exterior entrance. Originally built as the State Bank of South Carolina, the Federal bombardment of the city from 1863-1865, caused the bank to move locations further up the peninsula to Cannon Street. During the 1978-1980 renovation, several cannonballs and cannonball holes were found.
Photographer Charles N. Bayless, funded by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, photographed and recorded the Carolina Lowcountry between 1970 and 1988. The South Carolina Project took place between 1977 and 1979.
- Title: Bankers Trust of South Carolina Building
- Photographer: Bayless, Charles Nield, 1914-1991
- Date: 1977-1979
- Collection: Photograph Collection
- Object Name: HABS South Carolina Project
- Object Id: MK 11897
- Search Terms