The Gardeners’ Guide for Charleston and the Lowcountry
This special publication was formulated to be a comprehensive guide for active gardeners. First published in 1949, this third edition from 2015 was revised and updated to reflect current interest and gardening trends. The Garden Club of Charleston, which is responsible for the guide’s development, was founded in 1922 and continues to care for many beautiful gardens in the Charleston area, including the Museum’s courtyard and the grounds at its Historic Houses. This book is a perfect gift for beginning gardeners as well as anyone new to the Lowcountry and provides useful information such as:
• Instructions for annuals, biennials, and perennials as well as maintenance for turf grass
• An extensive list of shrubs and trees
• A month-by-month “to do” list on preparing, planting, pruning, etc.
• Details on garden planning and preparation as well as ongoing care of the garden
• Information on herbs, including a garden diagram
• A list of references, resources, and websites